Tuesday 4 January 2011

Some of All.

As you do when you start a new year, you start thinking about the previous one, and the one to come. What will you do? Have you learned from last year? Really? What are your expectations? What do you think the reality will be?

Honestly, i think this year is going to be a complete copy of 2010. I'm doing more or less exactly the same as i was doing this time last year, so why should it change? My situation hasn't changed, and until it does i don't think there is going to be much variation in how i live my life. For the next 7 to 8 months anyway. I say 7 to 8 months, because i finish uni this year. Sometime in July, i will have finished my 3 years of a Contemporary waste of time. (Contemporary Crafts).
Last year, spring term, i actually did quite a bit of work, and i will have to have a repeat of this to even do slightly well for my degree. Already i am dreading the 4th February, (dissertation hand-in), but i am slightly ahead in advancing an actual life for after uni rather than being stuck at home with my parents going 'So now what?'.
The project we are currently doing, called Revealing Collections, at the Royal Cornwall Museum, is making some form of reaction to an artefact in the collection at the museum, focusing on different attitudes toward sex in different times and relating them to modern day attitudes through the things that we make. I took on the take of body image, and you can see some of the development for this work in some previous posts.
On the 20th January i will be training in the museum as a volunteer, and to be honest i think i would rather be doing this, and feeling like i was actually doing something that might help future prospects of my life career-wise rather than sitting in the studio staring at an empty page in my sketchbook and trying to convince my tutors that im doing work. The thing is, the volunteering is going to be with the collection that we are supposed to be making these objects for, so im not sure if it is going to go down that well with my tutors. My thinking of it is, that its not necessarily the qualifications that get you a job. Say i were to get a 2:2 grade Degree; this might get me an interview, but if i were to go along with some experience in a relevant field then it would most likely swing getting the job instead of only turning up with a Number and a Name of an establishment on a piece of paper. THIS, is what im doing it for. A foot in the door rather than a knock on a brick wall.
Spring term doesn't really hold many distractions for me,(apart from Joe's 23rd birthday), so i should be able to get a nice bulk of work done without too much difficulty.
Summer term is a COMPLETELY different story. I live by a beach, in Cornwall for god sake. WHY would i want to go into uni when i could go and relax and enjoy my last summer in Falmouth on a beach in the beautiful baking sun? WHY?
This will be my downfall. Especially when i have to prepare for my Degree Show, in which i intend to make a collection of elegant silver jewellery, combined with slate and/or feathers. Silver, in-particular, being very expensive, means that there won't be much fun times that involve picnics on the beach with Chloë, and warm nights out with Sailor Jerry's and Coke. My budget will defiantly be a problem. Summer term last year. The above was ALL that happened. I almost didn't even pass my project with the National Trust because i would rather go to the beach. It was wonderful.
Honestly rather be on a Beach and fail, than be working my ass off and get a 2:2/3rd. I'm not greatly committed to work i must admit. I'd rather live.

Another good thing about spring not being that eventful is that i can save some money up, and hopefully i wont have to be too worried about going into summer term broke and panicking about buying materials.
So, im going to buy these BEASTY headphones,(£15), just to make up for the lack of spending im going to do. Right now i'm listening to Spanish Sahara by Foals through a pair that my parents got for my boyfriend for Christmas. My goodness, let me tell you, its like sex through sound in your ears.
The frequency range on these is really good and you hear absolutely everything! The highs, the lows, the voice, in-fact, just the very essence of the music. If it's good music, it will make you wet. The sound is so clear and full. Beautiful. (And they look awesome)

As always im trying to lose weight, over Christmas i havn't put on as much as i expected which can only be a bonus, but im using different scales so i wont be putting up any measurements until im back in falmouth, but it's not too bad. I've decided that i'm getting a head start on my summer body, i will look awesome in denim shorts and vests. Plan: Eat when hungry. Simple.

Moving forward a little, past summer, after Uni. So really what do i do? WELL, i am going to be moving in with Joe, most likely in Bath. Maybe with other people too, but we'll see. There are certain people i will not allow myself to live with., but thats a plan for another day, depending on who we meet and situations etc. Bath would be lovely.
  1. Because it's Bath, the most beautiful city in the country.
  2. There are lots of potential job opportunities, with galleries, museums and studios to work in and maybe make jewellery
  3. I'm somewhere that things actually happen, with nice pubs and good clubs
  4. I'd be living in my first dream place, (whether the house is ideal or not)
From there, we'll see. That is the cut-off point for my plans for 2011 at the moment. Past September i cant plan, because so many things are going to change.

I am currently in Bath at Joe's house, in his freezing cold room, and about to sleep on his little single mattress, not usually the best nights sleep, but the novelty of a new place hasn't worn off just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment